Today we are back talking with C.J. Martin, founder, and owner of Crossfit Invictus, one of the most premier Crossfit gyms out there and probably one of the largest as well. Crossfit Invictus is based out of San Diego, and they also have online courses and trainings as well. For the last 11 consecutive years, they have had a presence at the Crossfit Games where the most elite of the elite of Crossfit athletes compete.
A lot of folks know about Invictus, but C.J.. says there’s never been a focus on the brand, as his goal is to get to the core of the wants and needs of the members of the gym to make them better people. We talk about how he managed to build such a successful brand, and how his gym is doing very well while others have struggled. Also, we discuss the mindset traits he instills into his members which is very similar to the attributes that entrepreneurs have, and are qualities that can empower anyone.
Listen in, as C.J. gets vulnerable talking about how the business almost went under, and how he persevered by challenging himself. And when you’re done, be sure to check out our shows with Marshall Wayne and Sunny Lenarduzzi on how to build a world-class brand that stands out.
“I just realized that my lifelong impact was not going to be there. I wasn’t sure that I wanted it written on my tombstone – ‘Successfully defended lots of Fortune 500 companies’” – C.J. Martin
Download The Episode Companion For This Episode
Some Topics We Discussed Include:
- How to install discipline in your life (and in the lives of others)
- How Crossfit establishes mental toughness and stability
- The real meaning behind Invictus
- Why C.J. jumped out of a moving bus (and why that ended up being a good thing)
- Questions C.J. asks in the beginning when members sign up to put them on the right training path
- How his gym stands out from most others and how this benefits his members
- How C.J. was able to self fund a startup business and quit working his full-time job
- How being uncomfortable helps you move ahead, both at the gym and in life in general
- Establishing priorities and values that help establish your work/life balance
- The turning point that almost caused Crossfit Invictus to fail, and how C.J. was able to forge ahead
- And much, much more!
Contact C.J. Martin:
- Social channels – Crossfit Invictus on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
References and Links Mentioned:
- Crossfit Invictus
- Crossfit Games
- William Ernest Henley – author of the Invictus poem, recited here by Morgan Freeman
- The Only Way To Win by Jim Loehr
- Are you ready to be EPIC with us?! Then grab our EGP Letter here where you’ll get not only all of the notes for everything episode we’ve done and will do in the mail, a private forum community, plus new training videos all the time with us and our guests.
- Today’s show is co-sponsored by Easy Webinar and Casey Zeman. He has put together a 20% off deal for our listeners. Be sure to check them out as they have live webinars, hybrid webinars, automated webinars, and social media functionality, everything you need for webinars in a single platform.
- Text the word “COMP” to 38470 to get the notes from this episode! They are free but be quick because, after a couple of weeks, they’ll go away (or go to HustleandFlowchart.com/comp) if you are on a desktop
- How To Build A Movie Star Brand For Yourself – Marshall Wayne
- How To Build A World-Class Online Brand With YouTube – Sunny Lenarduzzi
Subscribe & Review To The Hustle & Flowchart Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Hustle & Flowchart Podcast! If the information in our weekly conversations and interviews have helped you in your business journey, please head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review. Your reviews and feedback will not only help us continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help us reach even more amazing entrepreneurs just like you!